Monday, March 9, 2015

A New Language, A Guide to Understand English

The biggest factor that helped me understand the English language was learning a foreign language. I learned Portuguese to serve an LDS mission in Brazil. Before learning Portuguese, I never understood verb tenses. I couldn’t tell you the differences between sentences that used subjunctive tense versus past perfect tense to save my life. Now, in my senior writing class I’m learning about grammar. Understanding the rules of how to speak Portuguese help me understand all of the rules in English. It is easy for me to translate a sentence back into Portuguese to understand what tense is being used.


Everyone should have a chance to learn a new language. It is hard to learn a new language in the high school classroom setting, so get out and learn a new language in a foreign country! Go on a trip and learn the rules to be able to communicate with the natives. This will help you accomplish two great things traveling the world and more importantly learning a new language.

No comments:

Post a Comment